Five schools were razed down on Tuesday night, bringing to 22 the number of learning institutions burnt in the past two weeks.
Education Cabinet Secretary, Mohamed Amina, confirmed students had been arrested in the western Kisumu over alleged arson and destruction of property.
“Three students are in remand while two are out on bond (bail). Investigations are at different stages,” she said.
Authorities believe unprepared students were burning schools in a bid to halt the upcoming Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education examinations. These have previously been marred by allegations of students cheating.
George Magoha, Kenya National Examinations Council chairman, said the tests would go ahead despite the latest crisis.
More than 1,7 million candidates are registered to sit this year’s examinations.
“Candidates will write under trees if they continue to burn schools,” Magoha said in Kisumu.
It is not the first time Kenya has experienced such a crisis.
More than 450 schools were burnt in 2016, with students again blamed for the infernos.
– CAJ News